She thanked me for hand sanitizer...

We showed up at church this morning and there was a homeless person camped at the door. Someone explained she would need move because we needed the door. But she didn't, not out of spite or anger but because she was cold and tired. So we worked around her. I text a gal who leads our outreach ministry to see if she had anything for her. She brought some toiletries and a sandwich. Someone had clothes they were going to give away and gave them to her. Then after service was over, I knew we had coffee left. So I brought her a cup. She is an older gal, maybe my age or a little older.  She asked if we had creamer and I had my daughter take some to her. By now she was moving around, but still at the door. I knew I had a blanket in my car, so I went to get it, and found a light sweater. I brought them to her. She said thank you. And then, she asked if I happened to have hand sanitizer or tissues. I did. And I remembered I had another one in my car. When I got the one out of my car I grabbed my granola bars and gloves. The gloves were my moms, so I squeezed them as I thought about her, then handed them to the gal along with the other hand sanitizer and granola bars. She was very grateful. Said we were a blessing. She apologized for being there, and for embarrassing us--(why, because she is homeless?) i assured her she was not an embarrassment and that it was ok.  I told her I wish we could do more and she said that's ok. That's ok...she's living on the street, it's cold, and she says that's ok... and then, she said pray for her. I told her I would and asked if I could pray now. She said ok, so I did. I told her we wouldn't be here next week, but that we would the following. She explained she just wanders so isn't sure if she will be back. I told her if she was we can see if have anything for her again, and I'm thinking like a donut or coffee. She thanked me and we said goodbye. She didn't ask for more food, or money, or anything else. In fact, she never asked for anything except hand sanitizer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brownies

This Is Hospice, part 6 of 6